Posted on November 20, 2012
Make-up is a tricky thing. A layer of mascara too many, you’re in drag; A layer of foundation too little, you’re ghostly. Thank the beauty gods for make-up artist du jour Hannah Murray, who’s here to save your face for the season that’s all about looking good.
Murray has been spreading her magic across the industry for years, creating swoon-worthy campaigns for the likes of Alexander Wang and Jil Sander as well as striking editorials and front covers for major tastemakers i-D and British Vogue to our niche loves like Acne Paper and The Gentlewoman. Murray has stolen beauty journalists hearts both with her high-impact advertorials but also with her do-it-at-home nature. As for us at Topshop, we couldn’t pick a better consultant for our make-up collection. She’s even turned the whole office into make-up artists with her step by step make-up tutorials.
So, there’s no wonder ELLE magazine asked her expertise for an editorial dedicated to a week in make up to celebrate them giving away some delicious Topshop make-up goodies with every subscription this month. Murray jumped on board to create seven, (yes, seven!) day to night looks that you too can make work whatever the weather. Below, we’ve given a glimpse of three of our favourite looks but head over to ElleUK to find the rest!
60′s Coquettish Cool
- Use Gel Liner in Ink £8 along your upper lash line, extending out and upwards to create feline eye. Apply the liner to the outer corner of your eye and smudge with Smoky Eyes Brush £7.
- Apply the black eyeshadow from the Constellation Eye Palette £12 over your gel line for a softer edge.
- Coat your top and bottom lashes in Mascara in Onyx £10.
- Apply Brighten in Moonlight Concealer £7 under your eyes to mask dark circles.
- For a natural, soft lip colour apply Lips in Secret Admirer £8 with your finger.
- Dab Blush in Head Over Heels £6 on to the apples of your cheeks.
- Dot Kohl in Sable £4 lightly over your nose & cheeks to create cute freckles.
- Use the Gel Eyeliner Brush £4 to apply Gel Liner in Ink £8 fairly thickly along your top lashes. Extend the flick upwards and outwards to create punky eye.
- Apply the Silver colour from the Constellation Eye Palette £12 along the socket of your eye. (For extra ‘pop’, make sure your brush is wet first).
- Coat your top lashes in Mascara in Oynx £8.
- Use Brighten in Moonlight Concealer £7 as needed.
- Finally, apply Lip colour in Clueless £8 for a matte, fuchsia lip.
Now we just have to follow Hannah’s tips and get practicing! Let us know what looks you try and whether they work out.